Recycled Water Delivery
March 25, 2022 Update
In the past the City of Healdsburg has offered recycled water deliveries to be used on landscaping however this year we will not be offering the program due to the cost, impacts to the environment and workload to our staff. Please follow this link to see an FAQ regarding water access and our current stage 2 level drought conditions.
We anticipate that we will be in Stage 2 or possibly 3 this summer, meaning that residents will most likely be able to use their irrigation, albeit with some limitations. Because of this, it is unclear how many would sign up for deliveries, regardless of the price. With lower participation rates we can’t develop the economies of scale that we had last year
The City is currently focusing our limited staff resources to projects that will bring a long-term benefit to our water situation. The recent $7.1 million grant for the recycled water pipeline is an example of these efforts beginning to bear fruit. Part of the reason we had low-cost deliveries last year is that we had multiple full-time positions almost 100% dedicated to that program. Unfortunately, that is not sustainable for our operations
City staff continue to review options and are open to all ideas. We really do appreciate the support of the community and will keep doing our best to provide support.
Therefore, and due to allowed but limited irrigation with municipal water this summer, the City does not intend to re-establish the recycled water hauling program. Recycled water will remain available, free of charge, at two filling stations just outside of town (Kinley Drive and Foreman Lane). Although the program was successful in helping the community achieve high levels of conservation in 2021, it also came at a high price in terms of financial cost and high staff capacity. Further, the program resulted in extremely high truck traffic that we do not believe is sustainable for the condition of our roads or the environment. Customers do have the option to contract directly with water haulers to receive recycled water. This is the list of available haulers:
Andy Ramirez 707-495-3566
CD Water Solutions 707-806-4430
American Tank 707-535-1401
Brian Natsios 415-328-8977
Alternatively, customers wishing to haul their own recycled water should call Rob Scates at 431-3369 to make an appointment.
September 20, 2021 Update
City Council approved two necessary changes to the recycled water program to maintain service through the dry season – to implement delivery fees and set an end date.
- Delivery Fees -- starting the first week of October, recipients of recycled water will incur a $45 fee per delivery. To continue service, please complete an opt-in form so we have authorization to bill the account in December for all deliveries.
- Opt-in or -out form: https://healdsburg.seamlessdocs.com/f/recycledwaterdelivery
- The $45 delivery fee is based on trucking costs to move water regardless of gallons delivered.
- The total cost will be no more than $315 for 7 weeks of service.
- CARE customers are exempt from fees.
- Program End Date – the program is set to end Nov 5 (with rain) or Nov 19 (no rain). Starting in mid-November, temperatures cool down, the days get shorter, and water demands for plants are substantially less. Although we don’t know how much rain this winter will bring, we will get some to maintain plant-life.
September 7, 2021 Update
- New recycled water signs up will close on Sept 16, 2021
- Delivery fees will be implemented in October, pending Council approval on Sept 20, 2021
- Recycled Water Deliveries will cease no later than Nov 19, 2021 in anticipation of the rainy season
Setup for Recycled Water Deliveries
- Residents are responsible for sourcing or purchasing their own storage tanks, totes, or barrels.
- Storage tanks should be placed no more than 75 ft. from the curb to be serviced, no gates or fences.
- Residents are responsible for the equipment necessary to apply the recycled water to landscaping -- hose and pump.
- A building permit is not required for tanks less that 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width is not greater than 2:1.
Recycled Water Delivery Information
- Up to 500 gallons per service account, and service one time per week.
- Recycled water needs to be used with 24-48 hours of delivery to avoid algae growth.
Sign Up for Service (before Sept. 16, 2021)
- Purchase a tank
- Contact the City at firstname.lastname@example.org with address, contact information, storage capacity, description of tank location.
- Staff will conduct a site visit to approve tank location and provide a program application that serves as a recycled water permit.
- If you were not home during the time of inspection and need to complete the necessary paperwork please fill out the paperwork here.